Scripture Power

"Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee,
and be thou a guard unto them."
- Ezekiel 38:7

"I tell you these things because of your prayers;
wherefore...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."
- D&C 38:30

Friday, August 26, 2011

Week 3 - Breakfasts

I had a personal experience that happened to me this morning, which I hope you will not mind me relating here. It went as follows:

By the end of this weekend, Washington, D.C., will have experienced two natural disasters in a week: an unprecidented earthquake and a sizeable hurricane. My sister is living there with her husband and four young children, so I called her this morning panicked about the upcoming storm. Her words were so reassuring as she said, "Diana, we are prepared." She then continued to outline their food and water storage, their backup batteries, the gas she had put in the car last night, and all of the preparations she had undergone to make sure she and her family would be ready for the upcoming disaster, which they are told could leave them without power and water for up to two weeks. I cannot stress enough how important those words are when facing a disaster, not only for me to hear (as her worried sister in Cali), but for my sister, her husband, and their young children to know: "We are prepared."

Now, my question to you is this: Are you prepared? Are you doing what you can to prepare? Could you calm the fears of your extended family when they called, and say to them, "It's okay. We are prepared," like my sister did to me?

If you are and do and could, then THAT'S AWESOME! I'm super excited and would love to hear about your successes so I can cheer with you!

If not, then you are not alone, but do what you can now - today, this weekend, or this week - to begin. After all, it is never too late to start preparing!


In light of these thoughts, I wanted to share this week's food storage purchase idea:

1 box (2 lbs.) of Pancake Mix (add water only mixes are easiest)**
You may also want to consider purchasing maple syrup or other, storeable pancake toppers.

Regarding the pancakes:

One mix = 28 pancakes (give or take, depending on the size).
According to the box (and my husband), one serving = 3 pancakes.
But, for me (and for survival purposes) one serving = 2 pancakes.

If you prefer to eat 3 pancakes for breakfast, one box would last one person for 9.33 days.
If you prefer to eat 2 pancakes for breakfast, one box would last two people for 7 days.

So, if you are a family who likes 3 pancakes each, you will want to purchase 1 box per person in your family. If you are a family who likes 2 pancakes each, you will want to purchase 1 box for every 2 people in the family.

**As a side note, if you are interested in a coupon and you want to buy Krusteaz brand, I discovered this morning that you can register your e-mail information on the Krusteaz website (http://www.krusteaz.com/) to get a coupon for $1.00 any two Krusteaz products.

If you wish to make pancakes from scratch (I admit, I'm a bit of a food snob and prefer the homemade ones), here is my favorite family recipe for homemade pancakes:

Laurel's Pancakes

2 c. flour
5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 TBSP. sugar
2-3 eggs
2/3 c. powdered milk + 2 c. water (or, just 2 c. milk)
1/3 c. shortening, melted until liquid

Blend together in order mentioned above. Cook in a nonstick frying pan on the stove. This recipe makes about 18-24 pancakes (which may be thin, but they are very filling and tasty).

If you do choose to plan for the above recipe, you will want to make sure you have the appropriate ingredients on hand. Personally, I like the recipe not only because it's yummy, but it's a great way to use up powdered milk without your kids or spouse knowing! As an added bonus, the recipe requires shortening and not butter, which makes it easier to keep the ingredients on hand for longer since they do not need to be refrigerated.


Anyhow, I hope the above information is helpful. Please let me know if you have questions, thoughts, or know of any special deals going on right now regarding these (or other) breakfast food storage ideas. You can e-mail them to me at peachwoodpantry@gmail.com.

As always, I will post any coupons/deals I find out about here, on the blog.

I look forward to hearing and cheering about your food storage successes! Happy storing!

-D. Spjute-


Notes:
The opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinion of the author and are not meant to promote sales for any institution, nor to represent the opinions of any church, business, or institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment