Scripture Power

"Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee,
and be thou a guard unto them."
- Ezekiel 38:7

"I tell you these things because of your prayers;
wherefore...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."
- D&C 38:30

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sorry I have been a bit MIA regarding e-mail and the blog the last couple months. Things have been crazy in the Spjute household and we are just now getting our feet underneath us a bit more.
 
However, several things lately have re-emphasized the growing need for food storage, and I have felt a strong push to do what I can, once again, to remind everyone that food storage is more than an option - it is a necessity.
 
Our lovely bishop has asked that we all have at least 3 months of food storage in our pantries by December 31, 2011. Are you doing this? Have you started working towards it? If asked now, could you say you have done all you could to follow his counsel so far?
 
If not, you are not alone!
 
I want to do all I can to help you get your food storage in by the end of the year, which is only 20 weeks away. However, because everyone has different food needs and interests, I thought it best to help encourage you to purchase a little extra of the everyday food stuffs your own individual family consumes.
 
To do this, each week I will send out an e-mail suggesting generic items to purchase that week. We will spend about six weeks focusing on each meal - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If I see items on sale somewhere, I will try to suggest those. If you see items on sale, please let me know so I can consider suggesting them.
 
This week when you go shopping, start off by purchasing a single breakfast item for one week of food storage. For this week, I suggest the following:
  • 1 box of cereal per person in the family. Or, 1 of the giant generic bags for every 2 people. This will provide 1 week of food storage breakfasts for your family.
  • Milk alternatives to go with your cereal - dried or canned milk, for example. For dry milk, usually the package indicates how much you will want. For canned milk, we have found that 1 can, mixed with water because it is too strong otherwise, is usually enough for 3 bowls of cereal. So, for 1 week you would want about 2-3 cans per person, give or take.
I hope this helps get you thinking about food storage. Remember, it doesn't have to be overwhelming. Start small, focus on one thing at a time, and move forward with faith. After all, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." The Lord will help to provide a way as we move forward and do what He has asked us to do.
 
Let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns about this.
 
Happy Storing!!
 
Best wishes,
D. Spjute
 
NOTE: The opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinion of the author and are not meant to represent the opinions of any church or institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment